Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mentor

September 16, 2009

I don't watch such shows very often but this summer was pretty dry on tv so I started watching "America got Talent" and got hooked. Tonight was the finale and I was in pins and needles until the two finalists were announced: Barbara Padilla and Kevin Skinner. I voted for Barbara but I was glad that Kevin won. He needed the money more. As for Barbara, she is a star and will be singing in places better than Vegas. Another of my favorites was Grandma Lee, she was so cute and so funny!!!

Yesterday, I blogged about NanC Meinhardt and David Chatt, two of my mentors. Today I am going to talk about another remarkable young woman who taught me bead embroidery. Her name is Sherry Serafini and I had seen her work and thought it was remarkable but when our local bead store brought her to town to teach, I was one of the first to sign up for her class. Her class was a joy, after she taught the basics, she told us to create our own design in free form, and I like free-form more than anything.

Sherry's work is mostly in necklaces and purses. They are so elaborate and intricate that leave me in awe. I don't think I am going to be attempting a necklace real soon but I did make a bracelet which you can see in my etsy shop, it is the first item and the most expensive. One thing that makes Sherry's embroidery so special is that she uses size #15 seed beads which are VERY small, therefore it takes much longer to complete the piece than if she used larger beads, but it is also what makes it so special.

I will be making more bracelets and pins to sell but I don't know how many people would appreciate it enough to pay big money. Time will tell......

Perie

No comments:

Post a Comment