Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mentors

September 15, 2009

While I was teaching myself the basics of beadwork, I was reading about other beaders and their work. One who stood out above all others was NanC Meinhardt. Her work was outstanding, and she was constantly published in all major magazines. She also tought at the Bead and Button show in Milwaukee, WI but her classes filled out within minutes. I did not know if I ever would be lucky enough to take any classes from her until I saw her name advertised by a West Palm Beach store that she was going to be teaching four classes there. I could not pick up the phone fast enough and I got in on all four of her classes. A dream come true!!!

NanC's classes were different, she does not just teach technique, she teaches creativity. Her favorite stitch was Right Angle weave and we had to use it to make a dimentional bracelet. She gave us some samples but after that, we had to use our creativity and imagination. Her own work sold to museums and private collectors. I have learned so much from her and it still carries on to this day.

Another outstanding beader of Right Angle weave has been David Chatt. He uses his own unique technique to make sculpture. His work is exhibited at museums and galleries all over the world and before he became famous, he used to teach which he does not do much anymore. To learn his technique appeared to be somethin unattainable but I was lucky enough to meet a woman who had taken David's classes and was willing to teach at our Bead Guild. What a treat it has been

Perie

No comments:

Post a Comment