Saturday, September 12, 2009

September 12, 2009

So I did not blog for a couple days, it is hard to think of something to write about every day.

Beading takes some time to perfect. I took classes for several years from the experts trying to learn all I could, being a total sponge, asking questions, doing what was taught in class and going home and practicing more. The excitement of learning something new was always exhilarating!!! I went to shows, Bead and Button, Bead Expo, BeadFest all over the country and, of course, the shopping. There were vendors for every bead, finding or supply you ever imagined. The trouble was spending too much money. It was a stimulating time.

When I thought I new more than others around me, I decided I had to give that knowledge back by teaching others. I was surprised to find out how much I enjoyed teaching. I was very patient with my students for they were all very different. I had young people and old, I had students who had PhDs in molecular biology, I had students with brain cancer and trembling hands, I had wives of politicians, students who were lawyers, bank VPs , physicians and farmers, but they were all wonderful women. They all wanted to learn the magic of beads and beadwork. They wanted to learn what their ancestors did with their hands, how they made their money, how they decorated themselves and how they worshiped. I told them all I knew about the history of beadwork around the world and when I told them all I knew, I looked for more knowledge.

They told me I was a great teacher which motivated me to learn more and teach more. Unfortunately the economy changed all that. Many women can not afford to travel to shows, it is like buying more shoes, so now I sell my work at etsy. My problem with selling on the web is all the electronic knowledge I must acquire - not an easy task for me. So now I am blogging, I am on Facebook and eventually I have to learn to Twitter............
what is next ???

Perie

No comments:

Post a Comment